DOT Physicals in Temple Terrace, FL
If you’ve just accepted a new job, your company may have asked you to undergo a pre-employment physical. Due to the nature of your job, your employer may want to make sure that you are physically healthy enough to perform your new position's duties. To ensure no hiccups regarding your onboarding process, our Temple Terrace, FL, board-certified nurse practitioner Gloria Orellana and the team at La Vida Health LLC provide DOT physicals as well as pre-employment physicals and even sports physicals for kids and teens.
Who Needs a Pre-employment or Work Physical?
No doubt, your new company wants to keep you safe while on the job, and one way to ensure this is to have all new employees undergo a physical for work. For example, commercial truck drivers are often required to undergo a work physical to ensure the driver’s health and safety. Physicals may also be necessary for firefighters, pilots and police officers.
What Goes Into a Pre-employment Physical?
During a pre-employment physical exam, we will check your vital signs, height and weight. Then we will go through your medical history and ask questions about your health condition and any medications or supplements you are taking to get a complete picture of your current health status. From there, we will perform a thorough physical examination to check everything from your vision and hearing to your lungs, reflexes, heart and joints. Depending on what your company requires, we may also need to perform drug and alcohol testing while you are here.
What Is a DOT Physical?
DOT (Department of Transportation) physical examinations are required by law for all DOT commercial drivers. After all, they want to ensure that all drivers are healthy enough to operate commercial vehicles. Before coming into the office, here are some things to consider,
- Bring contacts, glasses or hearing aids with you to your physical exam
- Bring an updated list of all medications and supplements you are currently taking
- If you have a chronic health problem, bring your most recent bloodwork with you to the office along with any medicines you take to manage your health problems
- If you have a heart condition, we may need you to undergo a stress test or have your cardiologist confirm that you are healthy enough for your new position
- Bring any paperwork you need us to sign off on and any details we need on what tests must be performed before you begin work
- Bring your driver’s license or state ID with you
What Is a Sports Physical?
Does your child or teen want to play sports this coming season? If so, they will probably require a sports physical from a medical professional before they can hit the field or court. That’s where we come in. We provide physicals for all ages, including children and teens. These physical exams allow us to evaluate your child’s current health to ensure there aren’t any underlying conditions that could impact their ability to play sports. These annual sports physicals ensure your child is healthy and ready to knock another sports season out of the park.